How Can I Find My Dad's Military Photo

How Can I Find My Dad's Military Photo

To find out the regiment or unit and branch of service that a family member served in, it is recommended to conduct interviews with family members or consult local, state and federal service records. Once this information has been obtained, the branch of service should be contacted to determine if they have any photos available.

To identify the regiment or unit and branch of service for a family member who served in the military, one can conduct interviews with family members and search local, state, and federal service records. After uncovering this information, one can reach out to the branch of service to determine if they have any available photos.

Where can I Find my military records?

Military records are typically only available in paper or microfilm format and must be requested for mailing. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) holds veterans' military service records from World War I to the present. They are not available for online viewing.

How do I find out if my family member served in the military?

To find out if a family member served in the military, you can interview family members or consult their service records. These records can be found through local, state, or federal sources.

How do I get information about non-archival military records?

Access to non-archival military records is limited without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin. Requests for most information are free, but there are limitations on accessing non-archival records, which are those from 62 years ago to the present. More information can be found on the Military Records and Identification page on USAGov.

How do I send a request for military service information?

To request military service information, it is recommended to use the SF-180 form. This form gathers all necessary information for locating a record. Provide as much information as possible and include copies of any service documents you have. Follow instructions for preparing the SF-180.

To obtain a copy of a Veteran's military records, several options are available. These include submitting a request through a standard form, writing a letter, visiting the National Personnel Records Center in person, contacting a state or county Veterans agency, or hiring an independent researcher.

Are recent military service and medical records online?

Recent military service and medical records are not available online. However, individuals and their next of kin can request free copies of the DD Form 214 and other military records through various methods. These records can be obtained from the National Archives.

How do I get military records in Missouri?

To obtain military records in Missouri, you can complete and mail/fax a Standard Form SF 180 to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) or write a letter to NPRC and send it to the Archives Drive address. You can also visit NPRC in person or contact your state or county Veterans agency. Another option is to hire an independent researcher.

What are military personnel records?

Military personnel records are files that contain information about a person's military service, including their discharge papers, official personnel files, and medical records. These records can be used as proof of service or for genealogical research purposes.

The Federal (non-archival) holdings of OMPF are accessible to the public 62 years after the service member's separation from the military. Individuals can order records of veterans who were separated 62 or more years ago by paying a fee for copying.

Are military records maintained by the NPRC?

No, the National Personnel Records Center does not maintain records for active military, inactive reserves, or National Guard personnel. For information regarding military records, please refer to the Location of Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and Health and Medical Records.

Who can access military records 62 years ago?

Access to the Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) of veterans who separated from service 62 or more years ago is limited to the general public. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the OMPF without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin.

How do I request military service records?

To request military service records, visit the Request Military Service Records page on the National Archives website. You can request records online, by mail, or by fax. If you have already submitted a request and need to know its status, you may speak to a Customer Service Representative. It is important to provide the necessary details and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a smooth request process.

To request military records such as the DD214, log in to milConnect and navigate to the Correspondence/ Documentation tab. Select Defense Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) and choose the Personnel File tab. Fill out the form and check the boxes next to the documents you want to request. Click on Create and Send Request to submit your request.

How do I request changes to my military record or discharge?

To request changes to your military record or discharge, you can contact the review or correction board for your service branch. This can be done if you are a member of the military or their designated representative.

How do I request my personnel file?

To request your personnel file, select the Personnel File tab and choose Request My Personnel File. Fill out the form and check the boxes next to the desired documents in the Document Index section. This process can be done through Veterans Affairs for military service records.

Where can I find veterans' military service records from World War I?

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is the place to find veterans' military service records from World War I to the present, including Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF).

To find out if someone has served in the U.S. military, there are several methods to follow. One way is to request payment records such as a Leave and Earnings Statement. Another method is to check the applicant's Common Access Card, which serves as a standard ID document for active-duty military. A faster but less secure method is to verify through the web.

How can I find out if someone was in the military?

You can search for military records using online tools such as Ancestry's Military Records or free people search websites. These resources can help you see if someone has served in the military in the past or is currently enlisted.

How do I find out who my family is?

To find out who your family is, you can start by gathering information from immediate family members, such as parents, grandparents, siblings, and cousins. You can also use dedicated people search websites that scour billions of public records from legitimate sources to find possible relatives or contact information for a long-lost family member.

How do I check the status of my order?

To inquire about the status of military order records dating from World War I to present, contact the National Personnel Records Center. For records before 1917, contact the National Archives. Military ID cards are solely for use by the card holder as they are U.S. government property.

What is a regiment in the Army?

A regiment is a military unit within the United States Army commanded by a Colonel and made up of approximately 1,000 soldiers divided into ten companies. Its concept originated in European armies.

What are the 4 elements of the regimental system?

The regimental system is based on four key elements: origins as specific branch administrative units, badges worn by soldiers to distinguish their regimental identity, mascots, and marches.

How many regiments did the US Army have?

At the beginning of the war, the US Army had ten infantry regiments, four artillery regiments, and five mounted regiments. The army was later expanded to meet the demands of the war, while thousands more regiments were raised by the individual states as United States Volunteers (USV).

What is the Combat Arms Regimental System?

The Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS) was a system used by the United States Army from 1957 to 1981 to assign unit designations to certain combat arms branches, including Infantry, Field Artillery, and Cavalry/Armor. Air Defense Artillery was added to the system in 1968.

Author Photo
Reviewed & Published by Albert
Submitted by our contributor
Photo Category